Garage Fire Deemed Accidental

10-4-14 FireA garage at a Galesburg home is destroyed by what was deemed last night as an accidental fire, but is one that can still prove very dangerous.

Galesburg firefighters were called to the 1600 block of East Fremont Street around 7:30 last night for a fire that started in a garage behind the home.

Crews had the fire out and cleared the scene in about an hour. Officials say the fire started when a kerosene heater used in the garage came into contact with some spilled gasoline, causing flames.

Officials say two people at the home when the fire broke out were able to escape, but not before trying to put out the blaze, which eventually gutted the garage and destroyed a pick-up truck inside.

A power line downed at the garage was eventually taken care of by Ameren.

The home at that property was untouched by the fire.

Damage estimates are in the range of $15,000.

Tags: , , , ,