The fire was in one apartment, but if you saw it, you might have thought it was throughout the whole building at first.
That was the strategy Galesburg Fire Chief Tom Simkins says crews had to sort of work off of at first as crews were called to the Galesburg Towers apartment complex around 5:30 last night. The fire, Simkins says, started simply enough in a first floor apartment. But smoke intensified and spread quickly. He says before long, some areas of smoke got up all the way to the sixth floor.
Simkins says some residents, expecially those on the first floor, were evacuated as a precaution, while others were kept safely in their apartments. Crews were on scene for about two and a half hours. Simkins says fans were used to exhaust the smoke. The fire itself, he says, likely started in the apartment’s kitchen, and was determined to be in the area of the microwave.
Fire damage was limited to the apartment itself, but Simkins says other parts of the building had smoke damage, and crews are cleaning it all up.
No residents or emergency personnel were hurt.