FREEPORT, Ill. (AP) — Victory has returned to Freeport.
Victory is a bronze statue that organizers are preparing to place atop the city’s Civil War monument on the grounds of the Stephenson County Courthouse.
The (Freeport) Journal-Standard reports that the statue arrived atop a flat-bed truck beside the monument for visitors to see up close before it’s placed atop the obelisk.
The monument was dedicated in 1871. It contains the names of more than 3,100 Stephenson County residents who fought in the Civil War.
Lightning knocked the original terra cotta statue from its perch in 1960.
A volunteer group has spent several years raising $120,000 to replace the cap. It needs about $8,000 more to complete work around the monument, including a wrought-iron fence at the base.