Galesburg firefighters started their day battling a house fire on Monroe Street this morning.
Fire Chief Tom Simkins says that at around 5:13, fire crews from all three stations responded to the 500-block of Monroe for a structure fire at a rented house occupied by two adults and two children.
Firefighters found that the fire was in the attic and second-floor wall area when they arrived on the scene. Simkins says that salvage covers were spread on the first floor and about 100-gallons of water were used to put the fire out. Moderate damage to the wall area was necessary to ensure the fire was out.
The residents were awakened twice during the night, once by a smoke alarm and another time by the smell of smoke in the house.
The Fire Department Chaplain, American Red Cross, and 1-800 Board-Up were on scene along with the fire department’s fire investigator.
No injuries were reported.