|Bitter cold weather can bring more than just frosty mornings and runny noses. Along with the winter chill come the dangers of deadly carbon monoxide (CO), as more families turn to alternative methods - such as a fireplace, wood stove or portable heater - to heat their homes and save a few dollars.
A survey revealed that while many Americans claim they have some familiarity with the dangers of CO, many others admit their knowledge is shallow. This is a big problem considering CO is a significant problem in the U.S., sending more than 15,000 people to the emergency room each year (according to a 2008 study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). The survey also revealed only half of Americans actually have a working CO alarm installed in their home and a whopping 77% of American seniors believe CO can be easily detected by human senses.
Known as the "Silent Killer", CO is produced by incomplete burning of fuel, such as propane, kerosene, gasoline, oil, natural gas, wood and charcoal. A CO leak can be attributed to many common household sources including malfunctioning gas-fired appliances, space heaters, chimney flues and portable generators.
Because you cannot see it, smell it or taste it, you or your loved ones could be exposed to CO without even knowing it. The symptoms - headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizziness and shortness of breath - are often mistaken for the flu.
"Each day, first responders are called upon to help people who have unknowingly been exposed to carbon monoxide and are suffering from CO poisoning," says James Shannon, president and CEO of the National Fire Protection Association. "It is vital for people to learn how to keep themselves and their families safe from CO before they are exposed to it. When it reaches a dangerous level, its effects may leave them unable to make that life-saving call for help."
The Galesburg Fire Department wants the citizens they protect to increase awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide and urge families to INSPECT, PROTECT and DETECT when it comes to CO safety:
*Have a qualified technician INSPECT fuel-burning appliances once a year. Fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, hot water heaters and stoves require yearly maintenance. Over time, components can become damaged or deteriorate. A qualified technician can identify and repair problems with your fuel-burning appliances.
*Avoid placing your CO alarm directly on top of or directly across from fuel-burning appliances.
*PROTECT your home by purchasing and installing a CO alarm
*Illinois State Law requires a CO detector within 15 feet of all sleeping rooms and on every level of the home with sleeping rooms (some exceptions for homes with no CO producing devices). Be sure to read the manufacturer's instructions carefully before installing the alarm.
*If you already have CO alarms installed in your home, make sure to test them monthly and replace the battery every six months.
*Be prepared should your CO alarm DETECT a problem
*If your alarm sounds, immediately open windows and doors for ventilation and move to a fresh air location outdoors. Make sure everyone from inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel arrive.
*If anyone in the home is experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning - headache, dizziness or other flu-like symptoms - immediately evacuate the house, call the fire department and seek medical attention.
*Be alert to some of the danger signs that signal a CO problem:
*Streaks of carbon or soot around the service door of your fuel-burning appliances
*Moisture collecting on the windows and walls of furnace rooms
*Fallen soot from the fireplace or small amounts of water leaking from the base of the chimney
"A CO alarm should not be confused with a smoke alarm," says John Drengenberg, manager of Consumer Affairs for UL. "A smoke alarm tells you to get out immediately. A CO alarm warns of a potential poisoning risk, usually long before symptoms are apparent, which allows you adequate time to get help. You need both life-safety devices in your home.
Recycle and Win Cash winners announced
Once every month the City of Galesburg Geographic Information System Division randomly selects addresses from the residential refuse database. If a recycling bin is out with recyclables at the address that resident wins $25 in cash.
The winners for the month of February were the following addresses: 463 E. Second St., 1627 Dee Ann Dr., 816 Monroe St., 440 N. Cherry St. and 429 Whitesboro. The City congratulates these winners. If anyone has questions about the curbside recycling program, please contact City Hall at 345-3614, refer to the City's website at www.ci.galesburg.il.us or call Waste Management at 343-0256.
(Information from the City of Galesburg)