|Knox College's weekly student newspaper, "The Knox Student," recently won the top college newspaper award in Illinois -- first place for General Excellence, along with eleven other awards, from the Illinois College Press Association. Members of the staff received four first place awards, one second place award, three third place awards and three honorable mentions. The ICPA awards were presented at the organization's annual conference, February 19-20 in Chicago.
Judges selected by the ICPA determined "The Knox Student" was the best college newspaper in the state for 2009 in its division -- nondaily under 4,000 circulation. Other first place award winners for "The Knox Student" are John Baillie for Sports Column, Evan Temchin for Sports Historiography, and Laura Miller, who won two awards, for Editorial Writing and In-Depth Reporting. Miller, a senior from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is editor-in-chief this year. Temchin, a senior from Meadow Vista, California, was photo editor in 2009 and is managing editor this year. Baillie, a 2009 graduate from Stillwater, Minnesota, was the paper's photo editor in 2008.
"These awards are the culmination of a lot of hard work by the staff," Miller said. "We went into 2009 with specific goals -- to make the paper more professional and more journalistic, and to work on the design. This shows that we have been successful."
According to college records, this is the first time in at least 25 years that "The Knox Student" has won the ICPA's General Excellence award, the top college newspaper prize in the state.
"I'm really proud of the students," said Tom Martin, the paper's advisor. "This is a talented group, and they worked hard over the past year to improve TKS -- they made it the best small college newspaper in the state. That's quite an accomplishment. They have raised the expectation for future TKS staffs."
Martin has advised the paper since January 2009. Prior to that he taught a journalism class.
Other awards received by "The Knox Student" or individual staff members were: second place award to Temchin for Feature Photography; third place awards to Miller for Feature Story Writing, Dan Dyrda, a senior from West Chicago, Illinois for Critical Review in Music, and to the newspaper staff for Headline Writing. Winning Honorable Mentions were Temchin and Matt Wheaton, a senior from Galesburg, Illinois, for Sports Page Design, Miller and Temchin for Front Page Design, and Colin Davis, a junior from Canton, Illinois, for Sports News Story. Davis and Wheaton are sports co-editors this year.
Other first place award winners for general excellence for 2009 were the Daily Illini at the University of Illinois-Urbana and the Columbia Chronicle at Columbia College in Chicago.
Following is a complete list of awards to "The Knox Student" and its staff:
* General Excellence, awarded to the entire staff, based on three issues published in February, April and October 2009
* Sports Column, awarded to John Baillie for "Coach Heimann," a tribute to the late Tim Heimann, Knox's basketball coach for 25 years, published April 2, 2009; on-line at http://www.theknoxstudent.com/newsroom/article/coach-heimann/br>
* Sports Photo, awarded to Temchin for a photo taken at a Knox basketball game, published February 13, 2009; on-line at http://www.theknoxstudent.com/newsroom/photo/818/br>
* In-Depth Reporting, awarded to Miller for "Pushing the Boundaries," a five-part series on growing demands for campus facilities, published in October and November 2009; on-line at http://www.theknoxstudent.com/newsroom/article/study-space-demand-grows/br>
* Editorial, awarded to Miller and the paper's editorial board, for "Thoughts from the Embers: Coca-Cola," published October 29, 2009; on-line at http://www.theknoxstudent.com/newsroom/article/thoughts-from-the-embers-coca-cola/
* Feature Photo awarded to Evan Temchin for a front page photograph of a performance of the Knox Dance Squad, published in October 2009
* Feature Story, awarded to Laura Miller, for "The Knox Fabric: Grew Up on the West Bank," published January 2009
* Critical Review other than Film, awarded to Dan Dyrda, for a music review, published in October 2009
* Headline Writing, awarded to the paper's staff, for "Cigarette Ban Ignites Controversy" published October 2009
* Sports Design Page, to Matt Wheaton and Evan Temchin, for design of sports page published October 2009
* Front Page Layout, to Laura Miller and Evan Temchin, for design of three issues published October 2009
* Sports News Story, to Colin Davis, for "Tim Heimann Memorial," published April 2009
Published since 1878, "The Knox Student" was founded by Samuel S. McClure. An 1882 Knox graduate, McClure later created "McClure's Magazine," an influential early 20th-century newsmagazine that is widely acknowledged as the first American publication to focus on investigative journalism.