7am News, Sports and Obits

Latest WGIL news
Click to play or
Right click and "Save Target As" to download
Click for Galesburg, Illinois Forecast
Home - Cancellations - Community Events - Contact Us - Mornings - News - Obituaries - Pictures - Programs - Special Events Audio - Sports - Weather
No Charges Filed Against Castro in Assault Claim
CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago Cubs say the team is pleased shortstop Starlin Castro won't face charges criminal sexual assault.

Cubs General Manager Jed Hoyer says the team is glad Castro can continue to keep his focus on baseball. Cook County prosecutors said Friday that they won't file charges against Castro. Spokeswoman Sally Daly says prosecutors and Chicago police reviewed the case and found insufficient evidence to charge the 21-year-old player.

Chicago police said in January that they were investigating an allegation of sexual assault against Castro. Castro said he cooperated with authorities. His attorneys have called the allegations baseless.

Castro was chosen to the All-Star team last year. He made his major league debut in May 2010. Chicago signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2006.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
News management powered by Xpression News
 
Read the latest local sports stories by clicking here